Located in the upper Wairau Valley, just north of Renwick, the Woolshed Vineyard is our home base in Marlborough. In 2014 we refurbished the smoko room, taking cues from the building's origins as a working sheep farm (you can still smell the lanolin!). Lightfilled and warm, the building continues to be used as a smoko and vineyard office, along with a space to host trade and have staff get togethers.
The Woolshed vineyard has had a colourful history. At the end of WWII it was the home to the RNZAF Station Delta, referred to as The Delta. It was a collection of seven RNZAF camps established over an area at the delta point where the Wairau and Waihopai Rivers meet on one side, and the Omake River passes on the other. It included a runway and several camps where new airmen would undergo initial training. It was only operational between June 1943 and October 1944. The Delta was by no means the most popular of stations to be posted to, mainly due to the poor standard of food dished up to airmen there and the primitive living conditions. It was damp and cold in winter, and seemingly remote. (This content sourced with thanks from Dave Homewood copyright). The maps below are of the RNZAF Station Delta.
After the Delta was disestablished, the land reverted to farmland and became a working sheep farm. With the introduction of viticulture to the region in the 1980s the land eventually changed hands and in 2003 was converted to vines. Our current Vineyard Manager, Nev Gane, a fifth generation farmer, was there in the beginning and developed the 100 hectares into what is now our flagship vineyard in Marlborough.